Ting Su is a Professor of Software Engineering Institute, East China Normal University, China (2020-). Previously, he was a postdoctoral scholar at ETH Zurich, Switzerland (2019-2020), in the group of Prof. Zhendong Su. He got his Ph.D in computer science from East China Normal University (ECNU), Shanghai, China (2011-2016), and was surpervised by Prof. Jifeng He and Prof. Geguang Pu.
He also had one-year visit in University of California, Davis (UCD), USA (2014-2015), and was advised by Prof. Zhendong Su.
He worked as a postdoctoral research fellow with Prof. Yang Liu in Cyber Security Lab (CSL), NTU, Singapore (2016-2019).
He also worked as a software engineer in Synopsys, and a research scientist in Rolls-Royce@NTU Research Lab (2016-2017).
His research focuses on developing effective methodologies, techniques and tools to improve software quality, reliability and security.
- Mobile App Analysis/Testing/Debugging/Security/Development
- Symbolic Execution
- Testing Compilers/Program Analyzers/Deep Learning Systems
- Formal Verification
His research work received generous support from Chinese NSF, Swiss NSF, Google, ByteDance, NTUitive Gap Fund, and won 3 ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper Awards (ICSE 2018, ASE 2018, ASE 2019), 1 Google Faculty Research Award (2019-2020), 1 Best Research Prototype Tool Award (NASAC 2017, First Place), and 1 Golden Medal of ACM Student Research Competition (ICSE 2016, First Place).
His research on symbolic execution has led to SmartRocket Unit, a commercial automated unit testing tool, which is serving many companies in China for testing industrial embedded software; his continuous research on GUI testing/fuzzing has led to Stoat (link), a well-known, commonly-used (baseline) GUI testing technique in this field; Themis, the first ground-truth benchmark for evaluating automated GUI fuzzing techniques; SetDroid, a fully-automated setting-wise metamorphic GUI fuzzing tool. He is a recipient of National Youth Talent Award (入选国家级青年人才计划)。
I am always looking for well-motivated Postdoc, PhD, Master and Undergraduate students to join our research group. If interested, please feel free to drop me an email attached with your CV.
- Sep 2021: Our work on fully automated functional fuzzing of Android apps was accepted by SPLASH/OOPSLA 2021!
- July 2021: Thanks for the generous funding support from ByteDance to support our research on automated functional fuzzing of mobile apps!
- May 2021: Congrats to Jingling Sun for winning the second place of student research competition@ICSE 2021.
- May 2021: Please considering submitting your work to A-Mobile 2021 (4th International Workshop on Advances in Mobile App Analysis), co-located with ASE 2021.
- May 2021: Our paper "Benchmarking Automated GUI Testing for Android against Real-world Bugs" was accepted by ESEC/FSE 2021.
- April 2021: Congrats to Jingling Sun, Junxin Li and all co-authors! "Understanding and Finding System Setting-Related Defects in Android Apps" was accepted by ISSTA 2021.
- Feb. 2021: Congrats to Jingling Sun! Her student research competition paper "SetDroid: Detecting User-configurable Setting Issues of Android Apps via Metamorphic Fuzzing" was accepted by ICSE 2021.
- Dec. 2020: I was invited to serve on the PC of ICSE 2022.
See More ...
- Nov. 2020: I was invited to give a talk at Chinasoft 2020 (NASAC-FMAC) on our recent work on fuzzing mobile apps.
- Oct. 2020: I was invited to give a talk of our work on automated functional testing of mobile applications in CNCC 2020, checkout my talk video (in Chinese) !
- Sep. 2020: I received one research grant (sole PI, General Program) from National Natural Science Foundation of China (2021-2024).
- I joined the Program Committee of ICST'21, OOPSLA'20 (AEC), ICSE'20 (SEIP), ICECCS'20, ICST'20 and Internetware'20, welcome your submissions.
- We honorably received a Google Faculty Research Award (2019-2020) to support our work on fuzzing mobile apps (me as the Co-PI, with PI: Prof. Zhendong Su)!
- I received a highly competitive research grant (sole PI) from Swiss NSF's Spark project (2019-2020) on automated fuzzing techniques for mobile applications!
- Gave an invited talk of our ACM SIGSOFT Distinguished Paper "Large-Scale Analysis of Framework-Specific Exceptions in Android Apps" at ISEC 2019, the flagship software engineering conference in India, held in Pune, India.
- Gave an invited talk "Pushing the limits of automated testing for mobile applications" at A-MOBILE 2018, an ASE workshop, held in Montpellier, France.
- We have released the dataset of Android app crashes/exceptions from our large-scale fault study (Our findings, Who used our dataset?).
- We have released Stoat (including all source code), a fully-automatic, guided model-based GUI testing tool for Android apps. Get the quick idea.
- We have released SmartUnit, a commercial automated unit testing tool for embedded systems. Contact us to know more.